Monday, July 23, 2012

Sponge cake in 8 minutes!

I saw a recent episode of Masterchef Australia where they made a sponge cake in the microwave after aerating the mix with a whipped cream gun.... curious.... I thought I'd try a version in the thermomix. This quantity makes enough for large size (around 300ml) coffee cup. Choose a paper cup, and slash the bottom a few times to allow steam to vent. Into the thermomix add 1 egg and 35g caster sugar. Mix for 1 minutes speed 6, then add the butterfly and give it 5 minutes on speed 4. Sift into the bowl 15g corn flour, 15g of plain flour and 15g self raising flour. Add a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp vanilla essence then stir for 1 minute. Finally pour into the paper coffee cup (it should fill it about 1/3) and microwave for 60 seconds. My microwave is 750 watt power at the max setting.


For a choc version I substituted cocoa powder for the plain flour


It was a bouncy sort of texture, so I'll tinker with the cooking time but the kids pronounced it most delish! If you want something quick to have with a bit of fruit and custard for dessert, it's perfect. I think you could play with it in recipes too- ie base layer for individual bombe alaska's or in a trifle?

1 comment: