Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cannelloni- Comfort Food

Any meal involving Bechamel screams comfort food to me. I made a chicken cannelloni this week using some sauces I had made with the Thermomix. Amy loved it, and we even got Jack to try a mouthful so it's definitely family friendly. A few weeks back I made Passata when I was using up my tomatoes from the markets (recipe straight from the cookbook that came with the thermo) so I had around 500ml on hand. Spread half in the base of a lasagne dish suitable for the oven. Next mince 500g of chicken breast- i like to use mostly frozen chicken cut in chunks for a good texture. Then wilt around 150 g baby spinach leaves by zapping in the microwave for 30 secs. Stir in with the chicken mince and 1 cup of ricotta cheese using stir on reverse for 30 secs. Season with salt, pepper and around a teaspoon of ground nutmeg and stir again for 10 secs. Clean the thermo bowl and get a batch of Bechamel with Cheese started again using the basic cookbook recipe. For the next step I had fresh cannelloni sheets I bought in the supermarket, but I think you could buy fresh lasagna sheets and trim into halves/thirds to get a square shape in need. Gently roll each sheet around a couple of dessert spoons of the mince mix and lay seam side down in the lasagne tray on top of the passata. I made 11 plump cannelloni in all from this recipe. Pour your remaining passata evenly over the rolls, and top with the cheesy sauce in a smooth layer. Sprinkle more grated tasty cheese on top and bake at 175 degrees for 30 mins and rest a further 10 mins before serving. For the very energetic you could certainly make and roll your own fresh pasta and to save dishes wilt spinach in the thermo too, but the microwave does wilt well!

No comments:

Post a Comment