Wednesday, January 4, 2012

All scream for ice cream!

After another 30 + degree summer day in Perth I decided to give ice cream a try. I used a recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks 'Must Eat' by Russell Blaikie and applied the mixer method. Here's what happened! Into the bowl add 3 egg yolks, 250 ml cream, 250 ml milk (I used skim), 100 sugar, 2 tsp liquid glucose and 1 tsp vanailla bean paste. Mix at 80 degrees and speed 4 for 7 minutes or unil thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Chill overnight then churn in an ice cream machine then finish in freezer for an hour or two. Results were ok... And the kids had no complaints but I could taste the cream had separated somewhat. Next time I'll apply Russell's method a little more by adding cream after cooking other ingredients then chilling, or by forgoing the ice cream machine and trying the mix method of freezing until firm then re mixing. Wish me luck it's a challenge that we'll all enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment