Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Spiced Plum Paste

My fruit drawer in the fridge had a few plums (sugar and blood variety) getting squishy and taking up space, so I decided to try a plum paste. I will serve it with a cheese platter and crackers, and expect it will last a month in the fridge due to the sugar content and preserving process. I removed stones and ended up with 260g plums. I added 200g raw sugar and as I didn't have any lemons a used a quarter of a grapefruit with skin, pith and seeds removed to add some tang. I blitzed them for 3 seconds at speed 8 so there was still some texture but almost puréed. Then I added a cinnamon quill and 1 star anise whole and cooked at varoma heat, reverse and stirring for 1 hour with the measuring lid off. Then I allowed it to cool for 15 mins and spread on a piece of baking paper in a dehydrator and left for 1 hr 45 mins. You could put it in an oven at lowest temp on a baking tray for same result. It was quite sticky and almost firm but not yet leathery. Can't wait to try some with a nice gooey cheese and a glass of bubbles! I also think this could easily be doubled, and I'd like to try a version with fresh red chilli added for bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment