Friday, January 20, 2012

Saucy Mixer

A $4 box full of tomatoes I bought at the markets this week has inspired a cooking frenzy. So far I have tried fruity tomato (ketchup style) sauce, BBQ sauce and some passata. My lovely neighbor Tilly tasted the ketchup and pronounced it hotdog worthy so here's how I made it. Put 1 brown onion, 1 cored green apple (both quartered), 1cm peeled fresh ginger, 1 clove of garlic and 30g of olive oil in the thermo bowl. First blitz at speed 5 for 3 seconds to chop, then sauté at varoma temp reverse stir for 5 mins. Next add 1 kg ripe tomatoes, flesh from a large ripe mango, 1/2 tsp allspice and 1 mc lid of water. Again blitz for 3 secs at speed 5 to chop then cook for 30 mins at 100 degrees speed 1. I rested the rice basket on the lid to contain splashes. Blitz at speed 9 for 30 seconds then pass through a fine sieve, return to bowl and add 1tsp salt, 75g red wine vinegar and 50g raw sugar. Cook for 30 mins varoma stir speed (again use basket for splashes). Test for seasoning and consistency and cook a little longer in need. It will thicken a little when cooled. Bottle in sterile bottles- I've found swing tops beer bottles work a treat. It's quite orange, for a better colour I might try plums (around 200g) in lieu of mango flesh but the kids happily dipped chips in it tonight regardless. Makes around 500ml

No comments:

Post a Comment