Monday, June 18, 2012

Pomegranate Cordial

I'm sure those with kids will understand the love they have for a 'fizzy drink' so I have decided to try and create some of my own. My first effort was a pomegranate cordial, as usual inspired by what was on special and in season at the local fruit and veg market. I used a normal manual citrus juicer to juice 3 pomegranates as I had read pulping them could create bitterness. Nice for grown ups but wouldn't get past our kids! I weighed the juice in at 260g and topped it up to 320g with fresh lime juice. I then added 160 g rapadura sugar (raw would be fine as well), and 1 tsp tartaric acid and cooked at varoma temperature for 15 minutes speed 1. I ended up with around the same amount of liquid as the original pomegranate juice quantity. Mixed with a little soda water and served to the panel, it was given a thumbs up! The tartaric acid was in the interests of preserving it but in small batches like this I won't bother next time. Myself, I'd like to try it with soda and gin



Some other flavour combo's I plan to try..... Apple, Lime and Mint..... Raspberry and Lemon..... Black Carrot, Apple and Ginger..... Orange and Blueberry..... The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment