Friday, June 1, 2012

Whole Orange Cake

This is a citrus take on the Dani Valent basic cake recipe- thanks Dani! First I simmered 2 whole navel oranges in water on the stove for 90 minutes. I allowed them to cool enough to handle and quartered to check for seeds and set aside. Into the Thermomix bowl I put 160g raw sugar and blitzed for 2 seconds at speed 10. Then I added 100g of chopped unsalted butter, the chopped oranges, 3 eggs, 200g self raising flour, 1tsp baking powder, 20g shredded coconut, 30g almond meal and finally 5g orange blossom water (optional). Blend for 50 seconds speed 5, scrape sides and blend again 10 seconds speed 5. Pour batter into a paper lined 20cm round tin and bake at 160 degrees for 1 hr 15 mins. Check with a skewer and if the batter is still sticking give it another 5 or 10 minutes. I did find this cake ended up quite dense so it was nice served warm with ice cream or a dollop of Greek yoghurt and drizzle of honey. I'd be interested in suggestions as to how to lighten the texture if you try it please! I thought of using 1 orange rather than 2 but it did have a lovely zesty orangey flavour that was nice. The kids ate it happily too, so that is always a plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment