Friday, March 2, 2012

No Thermomix Chicken Pie

I didn't use the Thermomix at all for this recipe but I wanted to share it as I enjoyed it so much! First I took a heavy ovenproof dish with a lid, that was suitable to also use on the stove top later. If you don't have one a baking tray you could seal with foil should work. I took a whole chicken (around 1.8kg) and put it right in the middle then surrounded with 2 peeled and roughly chopped carrots, 2 stalks of celery including leaves, 1 brown onion peeled and quartered, a whole bulb of garlic skin and all, 2 small fennel trimmed of leaves and quartered and a dozen whole button mushrooms. Baz doesn't like celery so I left it whole to remove it later but you could chop it if you want to leave it in. Next pour over a glass of white wine, a good grind of salt and pepper and 1 tsp sweet paprika- straight onto the chook. Finally pour over 2 tbs olive oil, and add fresh herbs in this case sage, thyme and rosemary still on stalks. Cover tightly with the lid or foil to seal and bake at 180 degrees for 90 minutes. I then left the oven turned off off with the dish still inside and went out for 3 hours. When I got home I took the chicken and garlic bulb out. I picked all the meat from the bones and added back to the juice and veges, then sliced the end off the garlic and squeezed the gooey insides into the veges too. I simmered for 5 mins then added 1/4 cup thin cream and 1 tsp of cornflour blended with enough water to make it runny and simmered again altogether for around 5 mins until it was thick and saucy. If you need to thicken more added more cornflour/water. I let it cool for 15 minutes, topped it with two layers of ready rolled puff pastry brushed with an egg wash (1 egg whisked with 1 tsp water) and baked at 200 c for 10 mins then reduced to 170 for a further 15 minutes until it was puffed, crispy and golden. While this did take a long cooking time, the actual hands on minutes were few and only one dish to wash at the end. The house smelt deliciously of roasted goodies too.....

No comments:

Post a Comment